April 15, 2010

January 15th, 2010 - Zen Temple, Vermont

Meeting Sensei's mother, 95 and delighted by bunnies.

Shoveling snow off the roof of the wood shed.

Stacking wood.

A long walk in the woods by myself, and with every step a message of peace for a child in Haiti. It's ok, baby. Walk, find food, find water. Don't run until you see water--save your energy. Walk. You can do it. You are loved.

Or for my future brothers, my love, the men I will meet and those I will not: More strength to you, brothers. Use the anger. Find your superhuman strength and lift something heavy and find the ones still buried.

Or to the women, already connected to each other and singing: May I sing with foreign words til you teach me your songs?

Every step a prayer.

---

I got a near job offer with the UN in Haiti today--one I didn't apply for. My first thought was to jump on the next plane.

Sensei was stern. It would have been funny if it didn't hit me so hard. The sixty something year old petite Buddhist priest all but blocked the door. "Sit down!" she said. "Meditate. Think this through."

No comments:

Post a Comment